- U.S. National Team (2010-12)
Team USA by making a gift in Danielle's honor:
- IWLCA All-America first team (2010), second team (2009)
- All-ALC first team (2009-10), second team (2008)
- Won 110 draw controls as a senior, the third-highest single season total in NCAA history
- Finished career ranked second in draw controls and sixth in goals in Northwestern history
- Top scoring season was in 2009 when she tallied 64 goals, including four in the NCAA championship game victory over North Carolina
- Helped team win three national championships (2007-09) in her career
Off the Field
- Assistant women’s lacrosse coach at Northwestern
Getting to know…
- Nickname? Spence
- Other sports played in high school? Volleyball, soccer
- Favorite lacrosse player? Any of my teammates!
- Favorite athlete from another sport? Scott Jurek (ultramarathoner)
- Best advice received from a coach? Every time you step on the field, tell yourself that you are the best player on that field, and play with that level of confidence.
- Strengths as a player? Size, strength, and work ethic.
- Favorite drill? Full field ride with my teammates! All 12 players on the field working together towards a common goal.
- Game-day ritual? I wash my hands a lot before games.
- What one thing do you wish you knew before you knew it as a lacrosse player? I wish I had recognized the value of the little plays, such as ground balls, or good 1v1 defense while re-defending, at an earlier age. When I was younger, I thought that scoring goals was all that mattered.
- Tip for young players? Putting some extra time into wall ball can make a serious difference in your game. Learn to use both hands.
- Best lacrosse moment? When my coach at Brighton, Rich Curtis, convinced me to pick up a lacrosse stick and give the sport a chance. Every great moment in my career would not have happened without his effort.
- Any fun fact we left out? Special talent? I am partially colorblind, which is sometimes a challenge. Fortunately, I do not have a problem distinguishing between red, white, and blue!