March 24, 2012

DU's Tierney: 'Disappointing Performance' in Win Over Air Force

from press release

USAFA, Colo. - Behind a three-goal performance from junior midfielder Chase Carraro(Louisville, Ky.), the No. 8/9 University of Denver men's lacrosse team defeated the Air Force Falcons, 11-8 on Saturday afternoon at Falcon Stadium.

The Pioneers (5-3, 1-1 ECAC) gave up eight goals on 31 shots, as freshman Ryan LaPlante (Fort Collins, Colo.) recorded 12 saves in his second-career start in net. Air Force (3-4, 0-2 ECAC) controlled the face-offs (13-of-24) and kept it competitive in groundballs, splitting 25-25 with Denver, but could not stop the offensive production from the Crimson and Gold.

"A lot of credit needs to go to Air Force because they played us really tough today," said head coach Bill Tierney. "We did not play our best game out there today. We have a lot of things to work on as we head into the heart of our ECAC schedule." 

Also scoring for Denver was junior Cameron Flint (Georgetown, Ontario), sophomoreJeremy Noble (Orangeville, Ontario) and freshman Wes Berg (Coquitlam, British Colombia) with two goals apiece. Senior Mark Matthews (Oshawa, Ontario) and freshman Eric Adamson (Anaheim Hills, Calif.) both finished with a goal each, while Matthews also chipped in an assist.

Junior Eric Law (Centennial, Colo.) led the Pioneers with four assists, while senior Alex Demopoulos (Canton, Conn.) finished with one on the day. Also tallying assists for the Pioneers were Flint and Carraro.

It took less than six minutes from opening face-off for the Pioneers to net their first goal of the game. Adamson got Denver on the board, scoring off an assist from Law, as the Pioneers took the 1-0 lead with 9:15 left in the opening quarter. DU then gave up a pair of late goals, as Air Force took a 2-1 lead with 2:59 remaining in the quarter. Flint netted the equalizer just 1:22 before the end of the first quarter.

The Pioneers used an aggressive second quarter attack to regain and extend their lead before the intermission. Law found Berg on a pair of goals, with the second coming at the 7:32 mark in the second quarter as DU regained the lead, 4-3. Following Berg's goal, the Pioneers went on a ferocious offensive attack as Noble scored off a pass from Flint 10 seconds later, and Carraro scored the first of his game-high three goals at the 7:05 mark to extend DU's lead to 6-3.

Denver ended the quarter by adding a pair of goals, the first on an unassisted goal from Carraro and the second from Matthews, as the Pioneers took an 8-4 advantage into the intermission.

The Pioneers were able to counter an explosive third quarter from the Falcons, as Air Force opened with two goals, cutting DU's lead to 8-6 with 5:22 remaining. Denver was able to match Air Force's goal output in the third, as each scored three apiece, and despite not scoring a goal in the final quarter and allowing one from the Falcons, the Pioneers sealed their first ECAC win of the 2012 season.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines