February 11, 2012

Keane's Late OT Goal Clinches Delaware's Upset of Bucknell

from press releases

Sean Finegan scored three goals and had one assist for the Blue Hens in an overtime win against Bucknell.
File photo © Kevin P. Tucker

LEWISBURG, Pa. -- The University of Delaware let a big third quarter lead slip away, but sophomore Danny Keane was there to save the day Saturday afternoon as he scored with just five seconds left in overtime to send the No. 19 ranked Blue Hens to an 11-10 upset win over No. 12 Bucknell at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium.

Delaware, now off to a 2-0 start for the third straight year and for the eighth time in the last nine seasons, built a 10-5 lead late in the third quarter before Bucknell stormed back to send the game into extra time on a goal by Todd Heritage with 6:57 left in regulation.

The Bison won the overtime faceoff but both teams turned the ball over during their first possessions of the four-minute extra session.

Bucknell turned the ball over again with 1:43 left on its second possession to give Delaware the chance to win it. After working the ball around, Delaware senior Grant Kaleikau found Keane, who scored the game-winner with just five seconds left to play to end the game.

Keane, who scored four goals in the Hens' season-opening 19-6 win over Detroit last week, netted three goals on this day highlighted by the game-winner. Sean Finegan scored three goals and dished out an assist, Brenden Gilson and Mark Yetter each scored twice and dished out an assist, and Kaleikau dished out four assists for the second straight game.

Delaware senior Dan Cooney won 13 of 23 faceoffs while goalkeeper Chris Herbert posted eight saves to earn the win. Bucknell became the highest ranked opponent to fall to Delaware since the Hens upended then No. 8 Hofstra 10-9 in last year's CAA semifinals.

Bucknell (0-1), which won a school record 14 games a year ago when it advanced to the NCAA Tournament and lost by just one goal to national champion Virginia in the opening round, got a game-high four goals from Heritage.

Tom Black added two goals, Chase Bailey had a goal and two assists, and Billy Eisenreich and Peter Burke each had a goal and an assist. Burke also had five ground balls.

Gilson scored two goals in the opening stanza to help Delaware break out to a 3-1 lead after one period and the Hens took a 6-3 lead into halftime as Keane scored twice in the second quarter, including a goal off a feed from Gilson with 7:14 left in the half.

The Blue Hens, the two-time defending Colonial Athletic Association champions, came out strong in the second half as Kaleikau fed Yetter and Finegan on goals in the opening four minutes to push the UD lead to 8-3.

Bucknell answered with two goals from Heritage, but Delaware responded with goals from Finegan and Yetter to push the UD lead back to five at 10-5.

But the Bison managed to shut down the Hen offense the rest of the way as they mounted a wild comeback. Black, Kyle O'Keefe, and Heritage each scored a goal in the final six minutes of the stanza as the Bison narrowed the Delaware lead to 10-8 heading into the fourth quarter.

Bucknell then tied things up as Bailey scored 53 seconds into the stanza and Heritage sent the game into overtime on his goal with 6:57 left.

The victory gave Delaware head coach Bob Shillinglaw his 301st career win. Last week in the win over Detroit, the veteran Blue Hen mentor became just the eighth head coach in college men's lacrosse history to reach the 300-victory mark.

Delaware will look to improve to 3-0 next Saturday when the Hens travel to Baltimore to take on Loyola (Md.) at 1 p.m. The Bison play their next three on the road, starting with No. 11 Massachusetts next Saturday at 1 p.m.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines