April 24, 2010

Ivy Uprooted:
Brown, Harvard Upset Cornell, Princeton

from staff reports

With a new Ivy League tournament in the offing, the Brown and Harvard men's lacrosse teams staked their claims in the race Saturday.

Brown upset No. 8-ranked Cornell, 13-10, behind hat tricks by Thomas Muldoon and Parker Brown. Harvard topped No. 6-ranked Princeton, 11-8, for its first victory in the series since 1990 -- a drought spanning 19 games.

Both the Bears and Crimson had fallen out of national rankings prior to Saturday's upsets.

Full recaps appear below.

Combined with Dartmouth's 15-11 win over Penn, the race for four Ivy League tournament spots has tightened. Princeton remains in first place with a 4-1 conference record. No. 11 Yale, Cornell and Brown all sport 3-2 conference marks, followed by Harvard and Dartmouth at 2-3.


ITHACA, N.Y. -- Senior All-American Thomas Muldoon and sophomore Parker Brown scored three goals each to lead Brown to a 13-10 Ivy League win over #8 Cornell, the Bears second straight win over the Big Red and first win in Ithaca since 2002.

The win propels the Bears to second place in the Ivy standings with a 3-2 mark, 7-5 overall. Cornell falls to 8-4 overall and 3-2 in the Ivy League.

"Give Cornell a lot of credit,” said Brown head coach Lars Tiffany. “They kept the pressure on us for 60 minutes.  But Matt Chriss played with great poise in the second half and the defense led by Peter Fallon was good."

Junior David Hawley's goal with 1:10 left in the second quarter broke a 6-6 tie and gave Brown the lead for good, 7-6, at the half.

The Bears broke the game open with four unanswered goals in the third quarter to grab an 11-6 lead heading into the final quarter. Senior Reade Seligmann, Parker Brown, Muldoon and freshman Johnny DePeters each scored in the run, DePeters' goal with 5:02 left in the quarter.

The Big Red made a run at the Bears by scoring the first three goals of the fourth quarter, trailing 11-9, with 7:01 left in the game.  But Parker Brown and Alex Jones scored for the Bears to put the game out of reach.

Hawley finished the game with two goals, while junior Andrew Feinberg and freshman Dan O'Brien also added goals for the Bears.  Senior Collins Carey handed out a career high three assists.  Muldoon added two assists to go with his three goals.

Bears' goalie Matt Chriss was brilliant in the Brown net, making 13 saves.

"The face-off play of Seth Ratner and Charlie Kenney, along with the wing men, was critical.  The men showed a tremendous amount of heart."  Ratner captured 12 of 23 face-offs, while Kenney earned wins in three of four face-offs.

Rob Pannell led the Big Red with four goals, while goalie AJ Fiore registered nine saves.

The victory over the Big Red sets up a wild finish to the next week's final regular season games. The Bears will close out their regular season next Saturday, May 1, hosting Dartmouth at Stevenson Field, starting at 1:00 pm.

The Bears are 3-2 in the Ivy League, tied with Yale and Cornell for second place in the league standings behind Princeton (4-1).  A Brown win over Dartmouth, coupled with a Harvard victory over Yale and a Cornell win over Princeton, could propel the Bears into the top seed in the Ivy League Playoffs.


CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Kevin Vaughan tallied three goals and Dean Gibbons scored twice and added an assist, as the Harvard men's lacrosse team topped No. 6 Princeton, 11-8, Saturday afternoon. Before 2,827 fans on Senior Day at Harvard Stadium, the Crimson used a 4-2 run in the second quarter to grab a 6-4 lead, which Harvard never relinquished in its first victory over the Tigers since 1990, a span of 19 straight games.

With the win, the Crimson remains alive for a spot in the Ivy League tournament, as Harvard improves to 6-5 overall and 2-3 in the Ancient Eight.  Princeton drops to 9-3 overall and 4-1 in the Ivy League.

Harvard carried a 2-1 lead into the second quarter, as Vaughan and Gibbons each found the back of the net in the opening stanza.  In the second, the Crimson went on a three-goal run, moving ahead 5-2, with 4:40 to play in the half.  Jason Duboe started the run with a score at 6:26, followed by a tally by Andrew Pataki only 30 seconds later.  Peter Schwartz capped the run with an unassisted goal at 4:40.  After back-to-back goals by the Tigers, Terry White closed the second quarter with a goal after receiving a pass from Travis Burr with 16 seconds remaining.

The Crimson, which led, 6-4, at the break, held a 25-20 lead in shots and a 16-10 advantage in ground balls through two quarters of action. 

In the second half, Jeff Cohen opened the scoring with a tally at 14:41 of the third quarter, while Dean Gibbons netted Harvard's lone man-up goal of the game at the 10:26 mark.  With the Crimson owning an 8-5 advantage entering the final quarter, Princeton cut the lead to two as Scott MacKenzie fired a shot by Harvard goalkeeper Harry Krieger at 12:35. 

At the 7:47 and 3:44 marks, Vaughan notched consecutive goals, giving the Crimson a four-goal cushion, 10-6.  In the final minute of regulation, Evan Roth put the game out of reach, as he made it an 11-7 contest with only 35 seconds to go. 

Princeton outshot Harvard, 25-12, in the second half to hold a 45-37 advantage for the game.  The Crimson enjoyed a 31-25 edge in ground balls, while going 16-of-18 on clear attempts.  Alex White collected a team-best eight ground balls and won 12-of-21 faceoffs.  Krieger finished the game with 13 saves. 

The Crimson closes out the regular season in a crucial matchup at No. 11 Yale Saturday, May 1 at 1 p.m. Harvard needs to grab a win over its archrival to be in position to qualify for the Ivy League tournament.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines