U.S. National Team Weekend Roundup
US Lacrosse's Nathaniel Badder oversees all aspects of — except for coaching and playing on — the four U.S. national teams. And he monitors Team USA players' in the college game as well. Here's a roundup of notable weekend performances from U.S. national teamers.
2014 U.S. Men’s National Team
- Johns Hopkins Head Coach – and 2014 U.S. Men’s National Team Assistant Coach – Dave Pietramala led the Blue Jays to an impressive 14-8 victory over Virginia. The win gives Pietramala 115 wins for his career at Hopkins, tying him with legendary coach Bob Scott for first on the all-time list. Hopkins will play Duke on the NCAA quarterfinals on Sunday.
2014-15 U.S. Women’s National Team
- Georgetown and Team USA Head Coach Ricky Fried led the Hoyas to a thrilling 9-8 OT win over Johns Hopkins on Friday (attacker Taylor D’Amore handed out six assists for the Blue Jays in the loss, giving her 300 points for her career), but could not get past North Carolina on Sunday as Georgetown fell 10-8.
- Kelly McPartland and Taylor Cumming each notched a hat trick as Maryland ran past Penn 13-5. The Terps will take on Duke on Saturday.
- Attacker Kayla Treanor scored a goal and handed out two assists
topped Stony Brook 13-6. The three points give Treanor
105 for the season, making her the highest scoring sophomore in
program history. The Orange will take on Boston College on
2012 U.S. Men’s National Under-19 Team
- Midfielder Kyle Keenan pitched in with two goals as Duke cruised past Air Force 20-9. The Blue Devils will take on Johns Hopkins on Sunday.
- Attackman Matt Kavanagh posted two goals and three assists as Notre Dame topped Harvard 13-5. The Fighting Irish will line up against Albany on Saturday.
- Midfielder Charlie Raffa was 11-for-17 on faceoffs and the Maryland Terapins snuck past Cornell with an 8-7 win. Midfielder Connor Buczek scored a goal for the Big Red in the loss. Maryland will play Bryant on Saturday.
- Midfielder Steve Pontrello scored once, but it wasn’t enough to propel North Carolina past Denver as the Tarheels fell to the Pioneers 9-5.
2011 U.S. Women’s National Under-19 Team
- Attacker Brigid Smith scored twice and midfielder Taylor Trimble (2014-15 Senior Team) added a goal as Duke topped Notre Dame 10-8. Duke will play Maryland on Saturday.
- Attacker Covie Stanwick posted three goals and an assist, and
midfielder Mikaela Rix added one and one of her own, pushing Boston
College past Loyola by a score of 8-3 in the program’s
first-ever NCAA second round game. BC will play Syracuse on
2010 U.S. Men’s National Team
- Bryant University – and 2010 U.S. Men’s National Team – Head Coach Mike Pressler led the Bulldogs to an historic 10-9 win over Syracuse in the Carrier Dome. Bryant advances to the NCAA quarterfinals for the first time in program history, and will face off with Maryland on Saturday.